Picture of How did you prepare for your 100km race, while working full time as a consultant at RB?

How did you prepare for your 100km race, while working full time as a consultant at RB?

Picture of Nicolas
3 responses

Tobias E. asked a question to Nicolas W.

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Monday, June 29, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Picture of Nicolas W.

Nicolas W.

Principal

Hi Tobias! Many thanks for your question - finally a question related to my passion of ultra-running! :-) I manage to keep my hobby of ultra-running going by doing two things: First, and unsurprisingly, I plan the bigger training blocks for the weekend and, secondly, I try to fit in as many morning runs with my project team during the week as I can. I have experienced that going for short runs can really help me to re-charge and that it provides a great opportunity to connect with my colleagues at Roland Berger. The good thing about running is that you can literally do it everywhere and the shoes only take up very little space in your luggage! :-) Of course, there are tough weeks where the training volume has to be reduced. But overall, I experience that one can very often find 30-40 minutes in a day to go for a short run, to get oxygen into the brain and to share good chats with the team.

Monday, June 29, 2020

Tobias E.

Hi Nicolas, thanks for the interesting insight! The question comes basically from my passion for sports as well and the possibility of training while being a consultant. The answer really helps me in this point, so I don't have to let down something I enjoy :) I think personally sport is also a good way just to clear up your mind, basically stepping back a little to take a run-up again and be of more use for the team and the client. For this, I have an additional question: When was your last 100km run and when will be the next? Do you plan to go even further and do a 100mile race?

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Picture of Nicolas W.

Nicolas W.

Principal

Hi Tobias! Good to hear that you find my answer useful. I agree, sport is a great way to balance the demanding job of a consultant. Yes, already did a 100 miler as well - as I said, I like running long distances! :-) At the moment it is pretty hard to plan for races as they are getting cancelled as we go along. Hence, I currently plan my own challenges and runs around Zurich. Recently completed a hilly 70km run around Zurich. Hopefully, the racing is on again next spring.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?