Picture of How would you describe RB's role and its influence at COP26?

How would you describe RB's role and its influence at COP26?

Picture of Julia
Picture of Lea
9 responses

Lea P. asked during the live chat Climate Action – How Roland Berger helps its clients to achieve their goals towards a carbon-free world to Roland Berger

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, December 10, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, December 10, 2021

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

COP26 was an important event to raise awareness for businesses. Showing that we as Roland Berger take climate action and sustainability extremely serious and see as the greatest challenge of our time, we had the great chance to talk to business leaders and make them aware that they need to take action now.

Friday, December 10, 2021

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Is it more about meeting political leaders or business leaders? Or which of these is more successful?

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

There are different zones: Some are for political leaders, some for business leaders. So in the end it is a mix. I believe the interaction between both sides is highly important in order to reach the best solution in the end.

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Thank you for your answers, Julia! :) If you would have to show a tendency towards one side, which side would you describe as more effictive to approach? Would there be a better outcome to approach business or politics?

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

One cannot make it without the other. - Policy makers need to define a framework for companies to take action, but business also have to do their parts - We've had a discussion with experts from the COP and it was incredible to see the work these people are doing by linking countries across the globe with different industries - On the other side, business are also taking the lead and becoming a front-runner inspiring others AND policy makers In a nutshell: Both sides have to work together

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Hi Timotheus, nice to e-meet you, too :) Thank you for your answer. Super interesting! I think you can really see it in the media right now how the two sides influence each other (e.g. business' goals of stopping the sale of combustion engine cars). Exactly, what you said. This would probably accelate the speed of getting to a net-zero world. Interesting to hear about the discussion with the experts at COP. Can I ask which countries they focused on?

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

Actually, there have been participants from all around the world, but since this time it has been in Europe, most of them were European based. Next year, COP27 will be in Egypt, so I believe there will be more leaders from the African and Middle East region.

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Thank you for your answers, Julia. I'm already excited on what the Middle East region will contribute to the discussion at COP next year :)

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

Me too! There need to be a lot of changes for sure!

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?