Picture of What exactly does the Climate Action Center of RB do and how many consultants are part of this practice?

What exactly does the Climate Action Center of RB do and how many consultants are part of this practice?

Picture of Timotheus
12 responses

Felix M. asked during the live chat Climate Action – How Roland Berger helps its clients to achieve their goals towards a carbon-free world to Roland Berger

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Friday, December 10, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, December 10, 2021

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

Our Sustainability & Climate Action platform creates thought-leadership (e.g., the Climate Action Compact Radar - check it out!), participates in climate action conferences (e.g., Cop 26) and additionally supports existing projects focusing on decarbonization! Currently, we have started with 2 consultants this summer, have now ramped-up to 10 and are planning to further grow! What is really cool in particular, is that we have consultants from all kinds of geographies, industry-focus and level represented!

Friday, December 10, 2021

Felix M.

I just found the position of "Consultant Sustainability/ Climate Action Center" on the career website of RB, and this looks like my dream Job tbh (I study Finance and Climate Solutions). Would you recommend it for graduates? Or would we lose the opportunity to become experts focused on one Industry over time? Or is sustainability a future business function like sales and marketing?

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

I love that you say that this would be "your dream job"! I truly believe it would be an excellent way of starting in the consulting world. The topic of sustainability is becoming more and more important and it touches EVERY business function in companies - Finance, Operations, Marketing, Sales, ...Hence, sustainability & climate action allows you to focus on one specific topic, yet experience it throughout the entire organization. I myself have decided to continue putting my focus on this topic as I've experienced the value of it! In addition, it really feels good to do something beneficial for the world!

Mattis W.

Very cool! So you have the opportunity to solely focus on sustainability and ESG projects?

Felix M.

Thanks, that's an encouraging insight! Is there any negative aspect in this field of RB that you think applicants should know about before applying? (besides the trade-offs that come with consulting jobs in general)

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

To your first question: - Yes, you solely focus on this topic - At Roland Berger, however, (and in order to really create value) our platform is focusing on the "E" of "ESG" --> The environment with a specific focus on emissions To your second question: - Be passionate about it! - We are a team working very closely with one another and climate action is one of the biggest challenges our generation and the next ones will have to "fight" with --> It needs a working team that motivates one another and day in and day out aim for changing the world a little bit It needs a working team that motivates one another and day in and day out aims for changing the world a little bit. I believe it is a really interesting and unique concept that RB offers.

Felix M.

Its the first time I'm seeing this kind of concept that you can apply directy for sustainability for a consultancy that is not a boutique for this field :) Since you are doing something new growing from 2 to 10 Consultants: How much of your work is "business developement" / working on the sustainability practice itself instead of on client projects?

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

Good question! The first 2-3 months has been more focused on business development vs. client projects. What is great to see, however, is that our business development is working with client projects coming in more and more, us planning workshops with clients to identify areas to support and so on.

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

And - if I may jump in here - focus next year will definitely be to deliver even more high-class projects to our clients! This will be a no-brainer since the demand for decarbonizing is strongly growing in the market

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Thanks Felix for the great question. It was very interesting to follow the answers :)

Felix M.

Thank you very much! Sounds like a very good point in time to apply and hopefully become a part of the RB sustainability team and now I'm hyped to do that for after graduation next year! Have a nice weekend and greetings from snowy St. Gallen :)

Picture of Julia R.

Julia R.

Senior Consultant

Cool! Looking forward to your application and hopefully to have you on the team soon :)

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?