Picture of What are the current client needs you encounter in your day-to-day work, in terms of sustainability (esp. FCMG sector)?

What are the current client needs you encounter in your day-to-day work, in terms of sustainability (esp. FCMG sector)?

Picture of Timotheus
Picture of Raul
6 responses

Dino K. asked during the live chat Climate Action – How Roland Berger helps its clients to achieve their goals towards a carbon-free world to Roland Berger

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Friday, December 10, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, December 10, 2021

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

Hi Dino! Nice to e-meet you! Our platform focuses primarily on decarbonization - meaning: everything that evolves around emissions. The needs of reducing emissions really depends at which step of the value-chain the player is located - for example: - The challenges for a retailer of FMCG products lies mainly in reducing emissions from its supply-chain - The challenge for a producer of FMCG products lies in decarbonizing the production processes - e.g., by switching to renewable energy

Friday, December 10, 2021

Picture of Raul P.

Raul P.

Hello Timotheus, nice to e-meet you. What re your thoughts when it comes to client immediate needs(which would bring short term success and maintain shareholders happy with their ROI) versus working on long term plans to achieve sustainability and climate neutrality and maybe offer weaker returns to shareholders in short term ?

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

Hi Raul! Good question and funnily enough, we have just discussed this in a workshop this morning - here it comes: Depending on the industry and on the business model of the client, we typically identify climate action levers to reduce emissions. We typically then cluster these levers according to "time" and "impact" This automatically results in short-term initiatives and long-term initiatives. Bottom-line: Sustainability & Climate Action needs to be viewed as a holistic approach across the entire business and its value-chain.

Picture of Raul P.

Raul P.

Do you think that as a JC sustainability and climate action should be one of my main focuses or it should be something I always take into consideration while exploring a range of fields and see where I can have the most significant impact ?

Picture of Timotheus G.

Timotheus G.

Consultant

Let me answer this way: - Many people see sustainability as something isolated and not necessarily fact-based, BUT it is! - Sustainability & Climate Action touches every function and business unit across companies, hence, a JC would not limit its exposure by joining this team - Additionally, this topic needs knowledged experts to really make a difference - This is why I have decided to focus more on this topic to become an expert focused on the consumer goods and retail industry

Picture of Raul P.

Raul P.

Thank you for the insight, Timotheus !!!

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?