Picture of Can you elaborate a bit on how easy it is to change to another RB office internationally?

Can you elaborate a bit on how easy it is to change to another RB office internationally?

Picture of Anita
Picture of Michael
19 responses

Leon S. asked during the live chat Working in consultancy & being socially committed or promoting your own business idea? Roland Berger makes it possible! to Roland Berger

Category: Internal career mobility

Date asked: Friday, February 11, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, February 11, 2022

Picture of Anita M.

Anita M.

HR Expert Intern Recruiting

Dear Leon, our firm offers many challenging opportunities to develop an international career. To date, many colleagues have taken on the challenge of supporting our international growth and thereby also advancing their careers. Transfer types include: long-term (1-5 yrs) short-term (up to 6 months) rotator (8-10 weeks) permanent (unlimited)

Friday, February 11, 2022

Picture of Michael S.

Michael S.

Does Roland Berger have a mentor program for non-consulting functions up to and including an assignment abroad to refine expertise?

Picture of Gregor K.

Gregor K.

Senior Consultant

Hi Leon, in my personal case, it indeed was "easy"... Both my mentor "at home" and the office I was going to (Seoul) saw the exchange as a growth opportunity. Additionally, I had built up relevant knowledge and could make a contribution to the local RB team.

Picture of Anita M.

Anita M.

HR Expert Intern Recruiting

Dear Michael, you will get a mentor as a non consulting-employee from the first day on. Non-consulting employees have also the opportunity to go abroad.

Picture of Leon S.

Leon S.

Thank you Anita and Gregor! @Gregor, how long were you working for RB in Germany before going to Seoul and how long did you stay there? Thank you so much for you time!

Picture of Gregor K.

Gregor K.

Senior Consultant

I had been working for RB Germany for 2.5 years before going to Seoul, and stayed in Seoul for 6 months

Picture of Michael S.

Michael S.

Dear Anita, Is it possible at RB to benefit from the expertise of colleagues in other Corporate Finance Divisions as well as Consultants Financial Services in order to broaden the wealth of experience? For example, through job sharing in order to be able to look at and approach upcoming projects and tasks even better.

Picture of Gregor K.

Gregor K.

Senior Consultant

@Leon: To add to your question... I'd also say that this amount of experience (2+ years) makes sense for both yourself as consultant and the offices -> You know your way around the company, maybe have industry-dedicated expertise For earlier international assignments, a regular project-based mode could be the better option.

Picture of Leon S.

Leon S.

@Gregor: That absolutely makes sense! Did you knew in advance how long you were going to stay in Seoul or did this evolved through your time over there?

Picture of Gregor K.

Gregor K.

Senior Consultant

@Leon: I was planning for 6 months from the start. However, shortening or prolonging the exchange is of course possible. I know of a couple cases, where the international assignment is/was extended :)

Picture of Alexander H.

Alexander H.

Project Manager

A colleague of mine from the Netherlands has been in Chicago for a year now and he is thinking about making it permanent as he really likes it there. So you can really adapt more or less on-the-fly :)

Picture of Leon S.

Leon S.

Wow! Thank you both Alexander and Gregor for those valuable insights! Regarding a shorter leave like yours (@Gregor), does the company help you with finding an accommodation in the city you're moving to?

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?