Picture of How do you manage being a young mother/father and working as a consultant?

How do you manage being a young mother/father and working as a consultant?

Picture of Inga
10 responses

Isa B. asked during the live chat Working in consultancy & being socially committed or promoting your own business idea? Roland Berger makes it possible! to Roland Berger

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, February 11, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, February 11, 2022

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

Hi Isa, I just had a daughter in August :) I took a maternity leave of 8 weeks and then returned to the job.

Friday, February 11, 2022

Rohit K.

Is there a mandate to return to Job after maternity so early?

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

You can work part-time if you like, e.g. 60% and then choose between working 60% of the week, of the day or over the year

Picture of Leon S.

Leon S.

This part time model also applies to consulting roles?

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

No, not at all! Most choose to stay home with the child with a year. I'm more of an exception. @Leon: Yes! I know lots of people at Rb that work part-time. Especially in consulting

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

@Isa: I have a partner that is very flexible with his work, so for us it was the best way. The good thing about RB is that nothing is set in stone and you can find a way that works for you and your family

Picture of Leon S.

Leon S.

Thank you very much Inga for this response! This was really helpful!

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

In case you have further questions on this topic you can also contact me anytime on linkedin. It's a rather broad topic and really individual for everyone :)

Isa B.

First of all: Congratulations! Did anything change after you returned to RB? For example your working hours or your flexibility regarding traveling?

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

Yes :) I usually/almost always work from home. I wouldn't say that flexibility changed that much as I worked very flexible hours before becoming a mother but maybe I now make use of the flexibility more often. I usually block fixed time slots during the day to spend time with my daughter

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?