Picture of I wanted to ask about options to do a PhD as a consultant at RB, please!

I wanted to ask about options to do a PhD as a consultant at RB, please!

Picture of Inga
5 responses

Additional information

I.e. I was wondering how much time after starting as a consultant I can do a PhD leave, for how long I can be on leave, what financial support is offered, an how much longer after doing the PhD I will need to stay with RB again - not that I am assuming that I want to leave, but who knows what will happen by then ;-) Thank you!

Franziska Luzie D. asked a question to Roland Berger

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, April 29, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, April 29, 2022

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

I'm currently in the RB PhD Leave. Generally you should have been 2 years with the company before you start the PhD Leave. Usually the leave lasts 2 years and you get a special PhD salary over the course of the 2 years. After doing your PhD leave, you commit yourself to RB for another 2 years :)

Friday, April 29, 2022

Franziska Luzie D.

Thank you, Inga! Does RB have any cooperations with universities? And what is the special PhD salary? Is it enough to make a living? Do you still need to work for RB while researching to get that salary? Plus, what happens if it takes you more than two years?

Friday, April 29, 2022

Picture of Inga N.

Inga N.

Senior Consultant

Hi Franziska, I would not call it cooperations but rather networks :) Our research team has good connections to several professors and universities where you are able to apply directly.The salary is extremely competitive in comparison to other consulting firms so I'm really satisfied with that and yes, it makes a comfortable living :D depending on your living standard of course. No you don't need to work on consulting projects while doing your PhD but you can engage in recruiting or HR events (voluntarily) :). After the two years you go back to regular consulting work. If you do not manage to finish the PhD within that time you usually take a sabbatical leave a while later and finish during that time I won't finish on time but plan to work part-time because of my little daughter when I go back into consulting in September. So I will work on my PhD during my time off from September onwards

Friday, April 29, 2022

Franziska Luzie D.

Great Inga, congratulations! I guess if you are doing part time after your PhD leave, that also means you will need to stay as long as your time adds up to two years of full-time work?

Friday, April 29, 2022

Picture of Hülgen C.

Hülgen C.

Senior Consultant

Hi Franziska, in this case you will make an individual arrangement with HR

Friday, April 29, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?