Picture of I am an engineer, what is your advice for me if I want to choose the consulting path, is it the right choice?

I am an engineer, what is your advice for me if I want to choose the consulting path, is it the right choice?

Picture of Matthew
Picture of Alexis
3 responses

Mohammed A. asked during the live chat Unity through Diversity - LGBTQ+ inclusion at Roland Berger to Roland Berger

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, June 10, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, June 10, 2022

Picture of Matthew M.

Matthew M.

Junior Consultant

The beauty of consulting is its multi-disciplinary nature. I would say that the way you think, rather than what you know, makes you a good consultant. There is no specific background that is suited to consulting. At RB only about 50% of our consultants are trained in business, besides that, RB consultants come from law, medicine, engineering, social science, etc. backgrounds. The diversity of backgrounds is what makes the job and the results we generate for clients dynamic and creative. For myself, my background is in the social sciences with no real prior exposure to business before RB. What I brought to the job was an ability to problem-solve and think critically. If you can do that, consulting may be right for you. So absolutely, I would say that a non-business background does not preclude you from consulting path. In fact, it makes you a more interesting applicant in my opinion - just be sure to have good reasons for why you are considering a career in consulting ;)

Friday, June 10, 2022

Picture of Alexis L.

Alexis L.

Consultant

Just as an illustration: I myself have a degree in political science and humanitarian law. Diversity of backgrounds is very much appreciated and even stimulated at RB :)

Friday, June 10, 2022

Picture of Thomas S.

Thomas S.

Principal

As another example, I studied some semesters of business administration, but then changed my subject to political sciences, sociology and history - and felt very welcome at Roland Berger when I joined after my studies. And of course, we have a lot of engineers as well at our Operations team, where I am also part of.

Friday, June 10, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?