Picture of In what way is the advice in consulting changing through the invasion of Russia in the Ukraine?

In what way is the advice in consulting changing through the invasion of Russia in the Ukraine?

Picture of Jannis
8 responses

Additional information

I ask this question specifically because of the topic of the live chat: Energy & Utilities. Were you required to shift your recommendations and advice for industrial companies heavily? And if so, in what direction? What has changed in your day to day experience as a consultant? Thank you for your time and your answer!

Finn G. asked during the live chat Become our intern and work on various Infrastructure & Energy topics to Roland Berger

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, November 25, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, November 25, 2022

Picture of Jannis H.

Jannis H.

Senior Consultant

Hi Finn, thanks for your question. Basically, the current situation has led to our clients questioning topics such as supply chains much more. Accordingly, such topics are also increasingly on our agenda. With regard to the energy sector in particular, there are questions about security of supply. But we are also noticing here that this is an enabler for (decentralized) renewable energy solutions.

Friday, November 25, 2022

Finn G.

Thank you for your answer, Jannik! So would you also say that the development inevitably also accelerates the growing focus on ESG projects in consulting? Would you say that ESG is going to be one of the main topics in consulting in the next couple of years and maybe even substitute digitalisation as probably the largest trend?

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Junior Consultant

Hi Finn, great question! Of course, the crisis pushed the topic of ESG. However, the field of Sustainability & Climate Action (as we call it at RB) has already been gaining in importance before. It is an important aspect for every project nowadays. This is why we created a special client team for this topic. In regards to digitalization it goes in parallel, but we would not say that it is substituting it.

Finn G.

Ok, thank you for your insights! I meant substituting not in a way that digitalisation does not have any importance but rather that ESG would become even more important. However we can definitely agree on the fact that both will be essential and very important in consulting in the next few years. I would have another question regarding application procedure. Coming from Germany, I already applied for an internship in Switzerland and Austria got rejected. Is it possible for me to apply again to a German office and do I still have a chance to get an internship for next summer for example in Frankfurt? Thank you!

Picture of Lea P.

Lea P.

Junior Consultant

Exactly, both topics are of great relevance across industries today. Yes, you can and you should apply again! The demands and requirements are different across the countries so it does make sense to apply in Germany even though it didn't work out in Switzerland or Austria. Moreover, it would be favorable if you gained further experience between the applications and you can show us how you developed over time. We are looking forward to your application!

Finn G.

Great thank you! I am very glad to hear that! In case I do not have time to gain further experience in the meantime, it is still possible to apply for the same time frame (summer 2023) in Germany, that I got denied for in Switzerland and Austria? Or did I misunderstand your answer? Thank you so much for your help!

Finn G.

Apparently my last message was not sent. So I got it right that even though I do not have time to collect more experience in between the applications, I can still apply in Germany for the same time frame (Summer 2023) for which I got denied in Austria and Switzerland? Thank you!

Picture of Debora E.

Debora E.

Project Manager

Yes, you can still apply since role descriptions/ requirements might be slightly different. However, our evaluation process is quite similar, so your chances would be higher if you apply at a later stage once you gain more experience. But you can also re-apply at a later stage if your application gets rejected now

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?