Picture of Hello ladies! My German is on C1 level, but I am not a native speaker. For a consultant position would it be a problem?

Hello ladies! My German is on C1 level, but I am not a native speaker. For a consultant position would it be a problem?

Picture of Doreen
Picture of Marlo
13 responses

Anastasia F. asked during the live chat International Women's Day Special: Women in Consulting to Roland Berger

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Last reviewed: Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Doreen G.

Doreen G.

Consultant

For projects, we do often work in international teams and if it's a German team, with someone who doesn't speak german or isn't comfortable yet, we do switch to english :) so there's nothing to worry about

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Marlo E.

Marlo E.

Senior Consultant

This should not be a problem. In the teams I worked so far the main language was always English. For projects with pure German clients it would be easier to at least understand some German. But you will have no issues with C1 level German

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Doreen G.

Doreen G.

Consultant

Sorry, of course I mean No, it's not a problem! Our business language is English, we do have many colleagues moving to Germany and learning the language on the fly :) with C1 youre already in a great position!

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Anastasia F.

Thank you for your answers! I am considering applying for a position in Switzerland. I also have a 1,5 old son. Does RB support parents in any way?

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Kathrin K.

Kathrin K.

HR Senior Vice President

I am a mother of a son as well. Roland Berger offers me a lot of flexibility. There is also a community of parents at Roland Berger to network and exchange best practices.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Kathrin K.

Kathrin K.

HR Senior Vice President

Working part time is also possible.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Anastasia F.

Thank you, Kathrin! I am doing my part-time MBA at St. Gallen University and have no consulting experience so far. My background is in technical sales. If I get accepted, what position it may be? Consultant? How much traveling is usually involved?

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Amina S.

Amina S.

Junior Consultant

The traveling really depends on the necessities of the specific project you are staffed on. For some you might have to travel every week, for others, you can fully work remotely from home

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Doreen G.

Doreen G.

Consultant

Additionally, staffing always tries to find an arrangement that suits you! As project team, we as well try to make it as flexible as possible, so if you are not able to travel one week due to appointments at home or something similar you can always talk to your Project Manager to find a solution :)

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Clemence R.

Is a project manager different from a consultant?

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Marlo E.

Marlo E.

Senior Consultant

A project manager is the manager of the case being the position between partner and team. He or she is responsible for team organisation and the communication to the partner and client. Consultants are working on the case with less exposure to client and partner

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Picture of Marlo E.

Marlo E.

Senior Consultant

This is mostly like this... there might be slightly different situations depending on the project and the personal know-how of a consultant

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?