Picture of Is there any intent to decentralise the implementation of Digital Euro?

Is there any intent to decentralise the implementation of Digital Euro?

Picture of Rainer
25 responses

Additional information

Hi all, I'm Nalin and currently working with Reserve Bank of India, India's central bank. My interest areas are DLT and blockchain.

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Nalin P. asked during the live chat Future of Money@Roland Berger – Digital Euro to Roland Berger

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, January 19, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

Currently many different design options are explored, but there is no information yet on infrastructure decisions.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

Thanks, Rainer. If I understood it correctly, the Digital Euro will the ECB's CBDC. Right?

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

Exactly

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

I have 7 years of work experience at RBI, India's central bank in research and management roles. I will be moving to Germany this year for my MBA. How can I engage with RB to know more about its work and culture?

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

Great to hear that you are moving to Germany! There is a lot of material online on our website, additionally we host regularly recruiting events, and you can always contact us on LinkedIn. I could recommend you to apply for an MBA Summer Internship to gain first-hand experience.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

Thanks a lot Rainer. I'm looking forward to connecting and exploring more about RB.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

Is it possible for you to share your LinkedIn profile?

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

Thanks a lot Rainer. Regarding Digital Euro, is there any timeline for its implementation? In India, the pilot program for Retail CBDC has been running for some time now.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

Hi Nalin, there is no officially communicated timeline regarding the implementation of the digital euro as it highly depends on the decision in the European parliament and other factors. Market participants expect an implementation around 2028/2029, but this is only a wild guess.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Nalin P.

Thanks Pedro. I understand that implementing it requires appropriate legislative backing. Coming to it design considerations, I assume that it will be a liability on ECB's balance sheet. In its retail implementation, will public be allowed to open an account with ECB or will be delegated to commercial banks? could you please elaborate on this?

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

I would assume that similar to physical cash, the digital euro would be also held on ECBs balance sheet, as it is central bank money. Regarding opening accounts, my assumption is that the commercial banks would operate the wallets.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?