Picture of Digital currencies and open-source technology

Digital currencies and open-source technology

Picture of Rainer
11 responses

Additional information

I would like to start a discussion not as a direct question to only RB team, but rather to include everybody here. Do you think the implementation of the digital currency software should be open-source?

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Dmitrii L. asked during the live chat Future of Money@Roland Berger – Digital Euro to Roland Berger

Category: General

Date asked: Friday, January 19, 2024

Last reviewed: Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Rainer S.

Rainer S.

consultant

That's an interesting thought. I think open-source could enable the market to build value added services. But I personally do not think this is going to be a standard, at least for CBDCs.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Dmitrii L.

Thank you. I though of this, as privacy is a big concern around CBDCs. I'm thinking that people might not trust the technology entirely and be afraid of some sort of surveillance. So, making it open-source, as it was with, e.g. corona tracing apps, would add another layer of trust from the side of European citizens.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

Yes, that is a very good point. The adoption of payment methods is generally highly dependent on the trust, the end consumer has regarding the technology/data privacy etc.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

The ECB will also have to do a lot of educational work to eliminate current fake news around CBDCs.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Dmitrii L.

What sort of fake news are out there? I've only tried to inform myself from official channels so far, so haven't encountered anything like that yet.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

That is generally a good of obtaining information regarding this topic. I was referring to some rumours that the ECB wants to use the digital euro to exert more influence on citizens and abolish cash through the back door.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

*good way

Friday, January 19, 2024

Dmitrii L.

Hahah, yes, it sounds like something that would easily catch readers attention and elevate as fake news.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

Yes indeed, I guess we can expect that the implementation of a digital euro will be play an increasingly important role in politics in the next few years. Therefore it is important to fully understand the intentions of the ECB with introducing the digital euro.

Friday, January 19, 2024

Dmitrii L.

Yes, there are some good intentions and opportunities I've found. Very excited about the future of this. Seems like a plausible middleground between traditional online banking and the sketchy crypto-world. Thanks to you and to the whole team for the answers. I have to leave now though. Is there a channel where I could provide my feedback on this event?

Friday, January 19, 2024

Picture of Pedro d.

Pedro d.

consultant

Thank you for your great questions and good interaction. Unfortunately there is no direct possibility to provide feedback, but feel free to contact me via LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pedro-do-vale-062a96156/

Friday, January 19, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?