Picture of What does success look like for a junior consultant in Roland Berger?

What does success look like for a junior consultant in Roland Berger?

Best discussions & stories
3 responses

Jonathan C. asked a question to Strategy, Consulting & Management

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, June 13, 2019

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 13, 2019

Maximilian S.

Project Manager

I think this is a very personal question - (personal) success for a JC can come from your learning experience, from the feeling of supporting a client in a large-scale transformation,... but also from having interesting discussions with your colleagues and feeling intellectually challenged. If you rather mean a successful consultant, I think it boils down to three things in the first year of your career: 1) You are learning a lot and you are quickly developing knowledge in a specific area 2) You try to be as helpful as possible for the client and your team 3) You don't wait for an invitation - you bring in yourself with the same entrepreneurial spirit we have in our culture - if you bring all that together, you'll be a very successful consultant!

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Jonathan C.

Wow, thanks for the insight Maxilimilian! I got a follow up question. Do junior consultants at Roland Berger get the flexibility of moving across different industries i.e. banking, TMT etc, or are they limited to a specialization due to demand and supply factors?

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Maximilian S.

Project Manager

We are basically organized across regions and industry/functional competence centres (CCs). Depending on the country you join in, you usually start either in a specific industry CC (e.g. Financial Services, Automotive,...) or in a specific functional CC (e.g. Digital, Restructuring,...). In some countries, however, junior consultants do start as generalists and only once they reach a certain level, they join a CC. However, even when you start within a specific CC in your country, you are still able to switch later on.

Thursday, June 13, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?