Picture of Do you think the German automotive companies (such as MB, BMW,..) will reach their emission target by 2020?

Do you think the German automotive companies (such as MB, BMW,..) will reach their emission target by 2020?

Picture of Verena
4 responses

Kevin W. asked during the live chat Mobility Transformation to Roland Berger

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, March 6, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, March 6, 2020

Picture of Verena K.

Verena K.

Project Manager

Hi Kevin, Thanks for you question, this is definitely an important one. Obviously the German OEMs do significant efforts in order to reduce their fleet emissions. But, my personal opinion is that they will not manage to reach the targets. At RB we are always developing new insights on electrification. If you're especially interested in that topic you can also follow our latest insights, e.g. the EV Index: https://www.rolandberger.com/en/Publications/E-Mobility-Index-2019-China-pulls-further-ahead.html

Friday, March 6, 2020

Kevin W.

Thank you very much for your interesting answer! I will definitely have a look at your publication. If I may ask one more question: do you think the failure to meet their targets will occur due to a lack of effort on behalf on the automotive companies, a missing sensitivity for environmental topics on behalf of the customers or a non-sufficient efforts by governments and the EU? (lack of infrastructure, subsidies,...)

Friday, March 6, 2020

Picture of Verena K.

Verena K.

Project Manager

I think it is a mix of different things. Of course, politics have to provide an environment where the OEM can operate, quickly develop new solutions and bring new car models to the market. This is also the case when it comes to the charging infrastructure. On the other side we clearly see the changing view of customers so they more and more push for electrified car models. And definitely, the incumbent OEMs started too late to catch up, as we can see when comparing them to the new 'stars' on the market like NIO, Rivian, etc.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Kevin W.

Thank you very much for the insights!!

Friday, March 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?