Picture of What is the impact of autonomous driving on the car insurance industry?

What is the impact of autonomous driving on the car insurance industry?

6 responses

Additional information

Since the car insurance pricing will be more based on telematics, I wonder how they are reacting to the rise of autonomous driving. Since this will greatly impact their profits.

Isabel K. asked during the live chat Mobility Transformation to Roland Berger

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, March 6, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, March 6, 2020

Leonard L.

Senior Consultant

Hi Isabel, automous driving will impact insurers on multiple levels. With your question, you have identified one of the key questions: who carries the liability in case of an accident? The person in the car? The manufacturer? These questions will have to be resolved as automotous driving technology progresses further and are subject to regulation

Friday, March 6, 2020

Leonard L.

Senior Consultant

In the meantime, insurers face a different concern as of today: The loss of the customer interface due to the heavy consumer shift to leasing companies. They become a mere supplier without any brand relevance towards the consumer and need to find new ways of reaching out to customers, as the motor business is one of the key sales channels (cross-selling to e.g., life insurance) as of today

Friday, March 6, 2020

Aaron N.

And basing off of insurance, has Roland Berger done any work relating to AV ethics? If so, what have been the findings?

Friday, March 6, 2020

Leonard L.

Senior Consultant

Friday, March 6, 2020

Isabel K.

Hi Leonard, thank you for your insights. If I understand correctly, there is currently not yet a conclusion regarding the liability even though several autonomous features are already available (i.e. autonomous parking, adaptive cruise control, etc.) The concern regarding the customer shift to leasing companies is interesting, I will look into this!

Friday, March 6, 2020

Aaron N.

Thank you very much!

Friday, March 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?