Picture of Would you recommend an OEM to partner up with start-ups in the mobility sector?

Would you recommend an OEM to partner up with start-ups in the mobility sector?

Picture of Verena
4 responses

Additional information

Partnerships between OEMs and start-ups may increase the speed of innovation and change in the industry. This may be an advantage for the asset-light and flexible business model of start-ups which can scale-up fast. Aren’t OEMs then supporting the development of an industry in which they are not competitive?

Felix D. asked during the live chat Mobility Transformation to Roland Berger

Category: About us

Date asked: Friday, March 6, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, March 6, 2020

Picture of Verena K.

Verena K.

Project Manager

Hi Felix, thanks for your question. Actually we do see that OEMs and especially the German ones develop partnerships with startups in order to stay (or become) competitive. In my opinion it is definitely necessary that they onboard these new technologies and competencies, for them it is a rather an opportunity than a risk. In my previous project I worked for a mobility player in the truck industry and we intensively discussed the integration of new players in the transportation landscape, i.e. regarding smart routing.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Felix D.

Makes sense and the project sounds very interesting. Thank you very much for the answer. I have another question. You are saying that especially German ones are developing partnerships, why are foreign OEMs not doing it to the same extent? Is it due to the mobility ecosystem in their home or target market?

Friday, March 6, 2020

Picture of Verena K.

Verena K.

Project Manager

Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I would say that especially the German ones had / have a need to catch up the developments. Of course also OEM in other countries are considering these partnerships, most of them have them already. I'm currently working in the US (more in the traditional Auto area around Detroit) but I have the impression that the discussion there is not that 'hot' as it is maybe here.

Friday, March 6, 2020

Felix D.

Okay, thank you for the answer.

Friday, March 6, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?