Picture of What difference does it make to have a PhD?

What difference does it make to have a PhD?

Picture of Boris
Picture of Xiangtian
5 responses

Additional information

Hi! Thanks for the event! I'm curious about what difference does a PhD in science and engineering make concerning career path? For example do PhD work more on projects related to their field of study? What are the drawbacks of having less work experience in business world? Thanks in advance ;)

Xiangtian Y. asked during the live chat Joining Roland Berger - from your application to the first days with us to Roland Berger

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Friday, October 29, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, October 29, 2021

Picture of Boris M.

Boris M.

Junior Consultant

Hi Xiangtian, having a PhD allows you to join directly as a Consultant (instead as a Jr. Consultant with MSc). It would make sense to go into your specific field but you do not have to do that... To answer your final question, could you tell me if you already did the PhD or if you consider doing it in the future?

Friday, October 29, 2021

Picture of Xiangtian Y.

Xiangtian Y.

Hi Boris thanks for the answer! I'm approaching the end of my PhD already. I'm at a research institute and therefore involved in several projects with NGO/UN/Governments. So not much experience in business I'd say.

Friday, October 29, 2021

Picture of Boris M.

Boris M.

Junior Consultant

Ok since you're almost done with your PhD, you should think about if you want to stay in your field of expertise or just be a generalist first and decide to deep dive later. Of course you would have better arguments for the field where you did your PhD but you can also join in totally different fields within RB as well...

Friday, October 29, 2021

Picture of Xiangtian Y.

Xiangtian Y.

That's really good to hear. Thank you for your answer Boris ;)

Friday, October 29, 2021

Picture of Boris M.

Boris M.

Junior Consultant

You are welcome Xiangtian :)

Friday, October 29, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?