Picture of How is this company different to your expectations before joining?

How is this company different to your expectations before joining?

Picture of Nicolas
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Nicolas W.

Category: Experience

Date asked: Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Picture of Nicolas W.

Nicolas W.

Principal

Great question. Upon reflection, I think three things are different compared to what I expected before my start. First, the working environment amongst consultants is less competitive than expected. To be open, I was a bit worried what is going to happen if you put too many highly driven, highly motivated and career orientated people into one project room. Given our company size and our growth, there are, however, more than enough development opportunities for everyone that a good and supportive culture emerges. Second, the projects are more international than expected. I am part of the DACH region and anticipated that I mainly have projects in Switzerland, Germany or Austria. As it turns out, I had quite a few international assignments which I personally find very interesting. Third, the structures and contribution opportunities are less rigid than expected. I anticipated that there is clearly defined scope/sphere of influence on each consultant level. To my positive surprise, it turns out to be the case that you can really move things to a great extent within Roland Berger. For example, already on consultant level, I was able to develop a new product together with a partner based on an own idea. If you find the time and energy to follow an idea, you'll certainly get the support for it.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?